Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Imaginary Jesus


Imaginary Jesus by Matt Mikalatos

Imaginary Jesus caught my eye due to the title and the cover of the book. It looked creative and in my interest area because of the idea that we have constructed a Jesus in our minds that clouds the real Jesus.


Mikalatos does a very creative job tackling (sometimes literally) his imaginary Jesus', guiding us through his imagination in what many ways makes this book feel like a novel. I must say that about an hour or so into the book, I got a bit bored with the Jesus'.

I realized toward the end of the book that this is a perfect example of describing God image. This refers to the construction of God we have created and with which we interact. It's a natural psychological phenomenon everyone does with anyone with whom we relate. It can be a hard concept to understand, but this book makes it much more understandable.

I honestly had to force myself to read this book. It wasn't what I expected. I'm not quite sure what I expected but this just wasn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment