Saturday, June 13, 2009
Discipline without Shouting or Spanking: Practical Solutions to the Most Common Preschool Behavior Problems
Discipline without Shouting or Spanking: Practical Solutions to the Most Common Preschool Behavior Problems by Jerry Wyckoff
I did like the outline format but found that some of the ways suggested to solve or deal with the problem were strange and, frankly, stupid. For instance, one of the tips for dealing with a child "talking back" was to pick the offensive word (if one was used), set a timer for one minute per year of age, and have the child use that word non-stop until the timer goes off. I do not want my child practicing a word he's not supposed to use! Also, a discipline technique for whining is to have a "whining place" where you send the child to whine when he feels like he needs to. I don't feel a "whining place" is necessary and that there are other ways to deal with whining.
This book tends to dance around the issue rather than deal with the issue iteself and teach the child how to correctly exhibit behaviors for certain situations or needs that need to be met. I would not have bought this book if I knew then what I know now. There are other positive discipline books out there that seem to be better-suited!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment